Sunday, May 15, 2011

How I'm going to do it all?

As soon as anyone finds out that I'll be homeschooling my daughter next year and teaching 3 preschool classes, plus raising my active 3 year old they ask how?

I don't have all the answers to how, but I'm working on it. Since I will be home schooling I'll do a lot of the prep and planning during the summer. I'm planning to start during the summer and do more of a year-around approach to homeschooling. That way when I'm stressed with preschool I will feel O.K. about giving Miss S the day off. Not sure how it will all work out, but I know I can take it one week at a time and the Lord will help me.

Once preschool starts in the fall, we will home-school before & after preschool, between classes, nights, weekends, etc. Everything is part of homeschooling. For example: We don't pay for chores, but we do pay for doing work for the preschool. It's my job and I get paid for it and so if she helps with cleaning or getting the room ready for preschool she can get paid for working. The other day she got paid 10 pennies (I know cheap labor, but she is only 6, I'm sure as she gets older I'll pay her more), which then turned into a tithing lesson to figure out how much to pay the Lord. Whenever we get time we'll count her money, trade it for nickles, dimes, quarters and even dollars. We'll talk about saving and even spending it. When I think of all the hands on learning she's already getting it helps me to think outside the box.

I currently don't do any homeschooling work, we tried it for a couple weeks just to see how it might be to have her doing things during preschool hours. She works well in the preschool room or in the office by herself and if she needs me I'm close by. When we started trying homeschooling she would wake up and ask to start on her home-school work. What child wants to wake up and learn? It was excited for me for her to want to play the educational games, read stories, complete mini book reviews and odd and end worksheets. I don't want her always doing worksheets so I'll have to work extra hard to get outside of that teacher box of thinking worksheets are great! I feel like this decision to home-school my children will greatly impact my preschool students lives as well. Because I'm more focused on the process of learning and I want to do even more hands on projects than I've done in the past. There are days that she'll ask for home-school work and I'll gladly give her a stack of stuff so she can choose something out of.

I'm excited to focus on her learning.

1 comment:

Brea Eskelsen said...

You are a brave women! I know how strong you are. I also know that if this is what the Lord wants you to do that you will be wonderful.